Vacancy for the Post: Technical Officer (WASH)
Company Name: IOM
Job description: Position Title : Technical Officer (WASH)
Duty Station : Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 14 June 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at .
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Head Humanitarian Assistance and Operations and direct supervision of the Programme Manager (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)) of IOM Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh the successful candidate will, in general, provide technical support for the coordination and supervision of all the activities which require specific civil engineering knowledge (in particular water and sanitation engineering).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Evaluate needs for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) facilities interventions at household and community level.
Draft or adapt sketches and design of civil and hydraulic works for the execution of Wash works (including but not limited to Borehole drilling, Water Supply Networks, Wastewater treatment plants), as required by the project and according to the instructions of the Programme Manager (PM) and the guidelines of the humanitarian sector working groups.
Ensure that project interventions for infrastructures and maintenance are compliant with agreed standard operating procedures or plans on what relates to health, safety and environmental measures during implementation of activities and delivering services.
Draft or revise bill of quantities and construction plans related to the construction works.
Prepare or revise the technical documentation in every tender dossier.
Report to and discuss with the PM any technical issues which may have a direct impact on the general implementation of the project or of the organisation’s activities in the area.
Attain a certain degree of autonomy in managing issues related to the daily implementation of the activities.
Supervise the execution of the WASH works directly and provide technical guidance and inputs.
Contribute to the identification and formulation of new project proposals.
Assist with the preparation of inputs deriving from the experience developed in present and past projects and the decision-making related to the day-to-day implementation of the WASH project components.
Participate in sector coordination meetings related to the WASH Programme and her/his duties as required.
Participate actively in WASH Sector Technical Working Groups and encourage the creation of new Technical Working Groups led by IOM WASH Programme.
Draft reports on her/his activities as per the PM’s requests.
Keep up-to-date on sector working groups’ and local authorities’ news, reports, recommendations, requirements, etc.
Maintain contacts with counterparts (technical co-ordinators from other agencies) and share with them techniques, knowledge and approaches related to construction works.
Assist in the design and revise the construction works component of the project work-plan and monitor that the implementation of the construction activities respects the time-table milestones and deadlines.
Quickly react to changes – of any kind – in the context in which the project activities are being implemented, inform the senior management about them and contribute to finding proper adjustments.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Civil Hydraulic, Environmental Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated previous experience in planning, implementation, supervision and monitoring of Water and Sanitation projects with reference to Water Supply, Wastewater treatment and Borehole drilling;
- Proven field experience in the implementation of humanitarian projects, preferably WatSan projects, in complex emergencies and with experience from working in a difficult security environment;
- Previous experience with international NGOs, United Nations, Bilateral or Multilateral agencies in diversified cultural background and hard work situation will be of added advantage.
- Good skills in training, capacity building, supervision and monitoring.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and manage staff at an operational level in humanitarian emergencies.
- Excellent knowledge of the IOM project management cycle.
- Good knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
- Ability to write and speak clearly and concisely in English.
- Strong computer skills.
- Proven high-level representation skills, such as speaking at meetings and providing situational analysis.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Fluency in Bangla is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database ( ).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
Location: Cox’s Bazar, Chittagong
Job date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 22:10:25 GMT
Apply for the job now!