Vacancy for the Post: Techinical Advisor (Consultant)
Company Name: CRS
Job description: On behalf of Catholic Relief Services (CRS) ( ), Caritas Bangladesh is seeking qualified professionals for the consideration of a short-term (six months with possibility of extension) Consultant, to be seconded to Caritas Bangladesh, for WFP supported project to develop Multipurpose Disaster Shelter (MPDS) Management Protocol during emergency.
CRS is a US-based relief and development agency working in nearly 100 countries/territories to alleviate poverty and suffering. In Bangladesh, CRS supports vulnerable people through partner organization, Caritas Bangladesh. Key program sectors include agriculture, livelihoods, food security, emergency response, disaster management, and disaster risk reduction. CRS seeks to hire a short-term consultant for Six months to provide technical support and work with government to develop Shelter Management Protocol/guideline during emergency in Bangladesh. This position will be hosted to Caritas by CRS, and the person hire for this position will require to work closely with Caritas Bangladesh through this project.
Title : Technical Advisor-TA (to develop Multipurpose Disaster Shelter Management
Protocol during emergency)
Department/Location : Dhaka, Bangladesh
Reports To : Technical Advisor- Homes and CommunitiesTerms of Reference Summary: The overall purpose of this position is to lead the development process of MPDS Management Protocol/guideline during emergency. This guideline/protocol will help communities and Shelter/School Management Committee (SMC) to act their role appropriately to manage shelter and people ensuring all possible services (i.e. water, food etc.) in the shelter. The Position will be based in Dhaka, being seconded to Caritas and will be responsible for ensuring high program quality, compliance and communication to the donor. S/he will be a subject matter expert and shall work with key stakeholders to build consensus based on evidence. The TA will be responsible to coordinate with key stakeholders i.e. Department of Disaster Management, respective clusters and other stakeholders (i.e. University, BDRCS, CPP etc.) to mobilize necessary support to develop the protocol. S/he has to play a key role to review relevant documents/existing guideline/protocol of Government and draft the Shelter Management Protocol/guideline during emergency. The TA will be the key person of contact of this work and engage government and other stakeholders to review, validate and approve this protocol/guideline. The TA will keep abreast of agency and industry best practices to ensure the use of technically and operationally appropriate methods and tools to facilitate this works.
· Lead the overall process and activities to develop the MPDS management protocol during emergencies;
· Review of all relevant documents related to MPDS management;
· Design and lead the joint needs assessment to understand the needs of Shelter management in time of disaster including collaboration with Homes and Communities partners for Operation and Maintenance aspects;
· Facilitate the stakeholder mapping process to understand the existing actors in the field and their capacities;
· Working with Disaster Management Committees, Shelter Management Committee (SMC), Department of Disaster Management (DDM), Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief (MoDMR), Academician’s to understand the gaps and policy exists already;
· Work closely with the key stakeholders/policy makers to develop the shelter management protocol during emergency;
· Organize and lead all required consultative meetings/workshops to validate the information and develop the protocol;
· Design and facilitate all required workshops/meetings to develop this protocol;
· Lead to draft the Shelter Management Protocol during emergency and mobilize review supports from GoB, University and other relevant stakeholders;
· Ensure endorsement of the protocol from respective government office i.e. DDM, MoDMR and District DMCs etc.;
· Lead submission of periodic report as per donor requirements.
Background, Experience and Requirements:**
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering/ Architecture/ Disaster Management/ Development or Social Studies / or related field & experience;
· 5-7 years proven experience in managing development projects related to emergency response, DRR, Shelter and Settlement or similar fields;
· Technical knowledge on designing and developing of policies/protocol related to disaster management, multipurpose disaster shelter management etc.;
· Technical knowledge and practical experience in emergency response programs, including Sphere and other humanitarian standards;
· Practical experience in developing and facilitating advocacy workshop/events;
- Experienced in leading participatory approaches, learning processes, to promote innovation;
Personal Skills and Requirements
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to detect and report inconsistencies.
- Excellent written and oral English and local language skills demonstrated in writing proposals and reports;
- Ability to provide opportunities for continuous learning, motivate individual/team/department performance;
- Proactive and self-motivated approach to work, with an enthusiasm for learning and openness to adapting.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Continuous Improvement & Innovation
· Builds Relationships
· Develops Talent
· Strategic Mindset
· Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities – None
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Technical Advisor Homes and Communities, Technical Advisor-DRR & Resilience, Emergency Coordinator, Country Manager, Head of Program,
External: Caritas H&C Manager, Head of Disaster Management, PD-ERP, HoP-ERP and Director-Programs; Academicians
*CRS carries out the commitment to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
By applying to this job, the applicant understands and acknowledges that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, the applicant understands that if s/he is a successful candidate, s/he will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and their personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate their behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
CRS is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, caste, religion, race, HIV Status etc. CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Job date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 22:07:09 GMT
Apply for the job now!