Vacancy for the Post: Research Manager-Education
Company Name: International Rescue Committee
Job description: Job Title:
IRC-Bangladesh, Cox’s Bazar
Till February 2022 (with possibility of extension)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities that support them, as well as with those who remain within their homes and communities.
The IRC reaches over a million children annually with education and child protection programs in 25 countries around the world including Bangaldesh where the IRC has been present since March 2018. Since 2018 the IRC has moved quickly to expand its integrated emergency health and protection response through both direct and partner-based programming focused on primary healthcare, women’s protection and empowerment, sexual and reproductive health, gender-based violence and child protection targeting Rohingya refugees in Cox’s BazarThe IRC is growing its programming to cover education and livelihoods/Disaster Risk Reduction, as well as its geographic foot print in the host community and to other parts of the country. For education, IRC Bangladesh aims to ensure that young children aged 0-5 develop cognitive and social emotional skills necessary for future academic success and wellbeing, school aged children (6-14) develop literacy, numeracy and social emotional skills, and adolescent girls (15 – 18) have education, protection and empowerment support through learning at the camp/host level as well as from expertise at the global level.
Airbel Impact Lab (IRC Research and Innovation Unit):
The IRC’s Research and Innovation Unit, the Airbel Impact Lab, designs, tests, and scales life-changing, cost-effective solutions for people affected by conflict and disaster. By applying the IRC’s deep technical expertise and field experience with a range of skills from the behavioral sciences, human-centered design, rigorous research, and multi-disciplinary problem-solving in humanitarian contexts, we work to develop breakthrough solutions that combine creativity and rigor, openness and expertise, and a desire to think afresh with the experience of a large-scale implementing organization.
In April 2019, IRC Bangladesh and the Airbel Impact Lab launched the Pop-Up Learning pilot program in the refugee settlement of Cox’s Bazar in Bangladesh. The aim of the pilot was to evaluate whether and how tablet-based learning programs could help address the learning crisis in contexts where large numbers of individuals have been displaced and traditional schooling options are not available. Pop-Up Learning is a digital education program that puts evidence-based learning software in the hands of children who need it the most, to enable them to gain foundational numeracy and literacy skills. The goal of Pop-Up is to allow children to learn autonomously and with minimal supervision, navigating the software based on their own skill level and understanding of the academic content. The theory of change guiding the development of Pop-Up posits that by providing children in crisis settings with regular exposure to localized learning software, in community learning spaces, with minimal support from a local facilitator, would lead to improved literacy, numeracy and social-emotional skills. In the next phase of Pop-Up IRC Bangladesh and the Airbel Impact Lab will aim to solve for key design challenges from the 2019 pilot, run an implementation study, and launch and run a randomized controlled trial to study the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of the Pop-Up intervention.
This project will rigorously evaluate the impact of Pop-Up Learning – tablet-based literacy and numeracy instruction – on learning outcomes for primary school aged children in a refugee camp in Cox’s Bazaar, Bangladesh. The Research Manager will support implementation pilots followed by randomized controlled trials (RCTs). This mixed-methods efficacy study will fill gaps in rigorous research on education technology, particularly in emergency settings. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand research management experience in a humanitarian setting with an organization undertaking cutting-edge research and design work. The work will develop your analytical and management skills and require your full commitment in a challenging environment.
The role dual reports to the IRC Bangladesh Education Coordinator and the Co-Pinrcipal Investirgator in the Airbel Impact Lab.
The Research Manager will perform a variety of tasks in leading the implementation of this study including, but not limited to:
· Working closely with the design team (Designer and Design Innovation Project Lead in the Airbel Impact Lab) and IRC Bangladesh project team to help define design challenges to solve during the design phase, brainstorm, prioritize and develop solutions
· Working closely with the research team (Principal Investigator, CO-PI, and Design Innovation Project Lead in the Airbel Impact Lab) to maintain integrity of the research design and communicate any issues early and clearly with the research team to joint problem solve
· Managing day-to-day research activities, from planning to implementation, and monitoring quality. This includes recruiting, training, and supervising field-based enumeration teams
· Piloting survey questionnaires and programming them on Tangerine
· Measuring and enforcing adherence to data quality protocols to ensure the collection of high-quality data
· Assisting in data cleaning, documenting of data cleaning procedures, preliminary analysis and ensuring ready access to all data by the research team.
· Providing timely updates and responses to principle investigators, and participating in meetings with key stakeholders
· Maintaining accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects
· Monitoring research timeline
· Ensuring that all research team staff in country (ie. Senior Enumerators, Enumerators, etc.) follow necessary protocols and procedures
· Performing related duties as assigned by supervisor
· Maintaining compliance with IRC policies and procedures
· Bachelor’s degree in economics, international development, public policy, Education or related fields required; Master’s degree preferred
· Minimum 3 years of experience including 1 year of relevant work (research) experience required; specific experience managing field staff in developing countries and/or supporting rigorous field research preferred
· Excellent project management and organizational skills, particularly managing research projects; meticulous attention to detail
· Fluent in English and Bangla; fluent in Rohingya, Chittagonian, or Burmese a plus
· A strong understanding of research methods and prior training/experience in conducting both qualitative and quantitative research
· Proficiency in Stata or similar data analysis software and MS Office
· Flexible, independent, self-motivating, ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and work under pressure
· Ability to work in a diverse, multi-cultural environment
Standard of Professional Conduct
IRC and IRC employees are required to abide by the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct which are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality & Equal Opportunity
We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer generous benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. We welcome and strongly encourage qualified female professionals to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Are you ready to join the most dynamic team?
Location: Cox’s Bazar, Chittagong
Job date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 22:26:10 GMT
Apply for the job now!