Vacancy for the Post: Research Associate
Company Name: WorldFish
Job description: Position: Research Associate
Location: Patuakhali, Bangladesh
Application Deadline: 15 June 2021
Type of contract: 5.5 month
Language(s) required: English (native/fluent writing and oral skills)
is an international, non-for-profit research organization that works to reduce hunger, malnutrition and poverty by improving fisheries and aquaculture. With a 45-years track record of leading-edge science, WorldFish generates research evidence and innovations to inform sustainable practices and inclusive policies that enable better livelihoods and healthier diets for millions of poor people, particularly women, who depend on fish for food, nutrition and income. WorldFish is a member of , the world’s largest global partnership on agriculture research and innovation for a food secure future. Headquartered in Penang, Malaysia and with regional offices across Africa, Asia and the Pacific, WorldFish leads the cross-disciplinary CGIAR Research Program (CRP) on Fish Agri-Food Systems ( ).
ABOUT THE POSITION
WorldFish Bangladesh and South Asia is hiring Research Associate in USAID funded ‘ECOFISH II’ project under Small Scale Fisheries (SSF) program in order to meet its vision: “Be the research partner of choice, delivering high impact, transformative and equitable fisheries and aquaculture solutions to reduce poverty and malnutrition in Bangladesh and South Asia”. The key objective of the ECOFISH II project is to improve the resilience of the coastal-marine and Meghna River ecosystems and improve the livelihoods of communities reliant on the coastal fisheries. The USAID ECOFISH II activity has been built on the achievements of ECOFISH I, particularly in terms of ecosystem resilience, biodiversity conservation, hilsa management, riverine catfish conservation and livelihood support, but will focus mainly on the Zone of Resilience (ZOR) focusing on small-scale artisanal fisheries, Cox’s Bazar with a continuation of the best practices in the lower Meghna River systems and declared Nijhum Dwip Marine Protected Area (MPA). Under overall guidance of the ECOFISH II Team Leader and direct supervision of the Scientist (Resilience/Zonal Coordination), the Research Associate will implement the planned activities with the partners and stakeholders.
- Implement the project activities following Annual Work Plan of ECOFISH II.
- Collaborate closely with WorldFish staffs on other research projects.
- Assist WorldFish and Department of Fisheries in monitoring and data-collection activities in coastal and riverine environments. This will include fish catches (especially artisanal marine fish and hilsa), larval study, fish biodiversity study, marine farming.
- Supervise and monitor NGO and partner activities in both science data collection and livelihoods support programs.
- Develop effective adaptive co-management with fishing communities, relevant law-enforcing agencies, and government bodies at local, regional, and national scales.
- Plan and implement training programs for co-management groups, fishing community youths and women for alternative livelihoods and income generating activities.
- Assist District and Upazila Fisheries Officers and Community Leaders to undertake socio-economic and ecological surveys.
- Assist Department of Fisheries (DoF) and law enforcers and administration at all levels in their efforts of ensuring compliance towards sustainable resources conservation.
- Assist in the implementation of the project program on women empowerment, food and nutrition and livelihood diversification.
This job is open to Bangladesh Nationals with the following skills and qualifications:
- Master of Sciences in Fisheries Science, Marine Science, Oceanography, Environmental Science, Conservation Biology, Anthropology or similar discipline from reputed universities/institutions with strong knowledge on fisheries management in the light of ecosystem and community wellbeing.
- At least 3-4 years working experience in Natural Resources Management (NRM), Environmental Monitoring, Wildlife Conservation, MPA management or similar areas of socio-ecological systems.
- Experience of capture fisheries, co-management, ecosystem based approach, small scale fisheries and socio-economic aspects of fisheries.
- Working experience in a multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent communication skills and high proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision, setting work priorities, solving problems, and making timely and appropriate decisions.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, committed and motivated to accomplish the given tasks.
- Ability to both work in and lead team under your supervision.
- Able to undertake regular fieldwork, traveling by motorbike/ boat/ other available means.
- Knowledge on Small-Scale Fisheries (SSF); NRM; water quality monitoring; plankton and juvenile fish sampling and identification; stakeholder engagement, adaptive co-management; life and livelihoods of fishing communities.
- Driving license for motor cycle with a valid license.
- Willingness to undertake fieldwork at river, coastal sea and remote sites.
- Knowledge on essential computer software/packages like MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work in a team-oriented multi-cultural environment.
Benefits This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position with annual salary ranging between BDT 1,063,511 to 1,162,127 per annum. WorldFish NRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension / provident fund contribution.
Eligibility, Location and Duration
The position will be based in Patuakhali, Bangladesh. Interviews are expected to be held in June 2021 and only shortlisted candidates will be notified and expected to attend the interview. The successful candidate should be available to commence in July 2021 for an initial five and a half (5.5) months fixed term contract, with the possibility of contract renewal depending on performance and funding availability.
How to Apply Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 15 June 2021:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, head of HR and peer.
Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Our Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
WorldFish has seven offices across Asia, Africa and the Pacific, with more than 400 staff and 27 nationalities who contribute to a dynamic multicultural work environment.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity and inclusion is valued and we seek to have gender balance in the organization. We aim to also seek balance across other diversity dimensions.
People in WorldFish are treated equally irrespective of gender, ethnicity/race, national or social origin, disability, religion, political affiliation, age, family size, marital status or any other form of personal identity.
We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage qualified women and men from developing nations to apply
Job date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 22:09:26 GMT
Apply for the job now!