Vacancy for the Post: Policy Manager, Bangladesh
Company Name: Innovations for Poverty Action
Job description: Policy Manager, Bangladesh
IPA is seeking a Policy Manager to support the execution of policy engagement, policy strategy, and results dissemination for an initiative that seeks to improve the availability and quality of evidence to inform gender-responsive policy and programming for the COVID-19 crisis. The Policy Manager will work with a range of stakeholders to collaboratively develop data and evidence projects related to women’s work, entrepreneurship, time use, youth skilling, and youth school-to-work transitions. In this role, the Policy Manager will support IPA Bangladesh in collaborating with policymakers, researchers, experts, and internal IPA stakeholders to identify decision-maker needs and develop actionable insights to inform policies and programs impacting women and girls during the evolving COVID-19 crisis. The Policy Manager will receive guidance from gender experts and local academics in Bangladesh who are influential in the evidence-to-policy spaces in these contexts.
Partner Development, Policy Engagement, Results Dissemination:
- Cultivate and lead relationships with key policy makers/practitioners and regularly engage with them to identify and assess policy needs and priorities
- In partnership with gender experts, researchers, and other stakeholders, provide technical assistance in the development of government partners’ policy and programmatic responses to data and evidence
- Develop and execute policy impact strategies and dissemination events in Bangladesh (in partnership with research teams, PIs, and Global Policy & Comms team)
- Convene policy partners, IPA policy and sector leads, technical experts, and donors to participate in existing sector working groups or steering committees focused on using evidence to inform policy in relevant sectors
- Manage the dissemination of results with partners and collaborate with colleagues to plan and participate in policy roundtables
- Support other staff in executing project activities
Project and Research Development
- Identify projects such as diagnostic surveys and impact evaluations in partnership with researchers and global staff
- Lead the development of Memoranda of Understanding and protocols that guide relationships with key players in women’s work, entrepreneurship and time use, and youth skilling and school-to-work transitions
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Master’s degree in gender, economics, development, international relations, public administration, public policy or a closely related field strongly preferred. Will accept additional experience in place of a Master’s.
- 5 or more years of relevant experience, including at least 1 year of experience working closely with national government officials or large NGOs.
- Experience and interest in gender-related policy and programming, particularly in small and medium enterprises and women’s work, entrepreneurship and time use, and youth skilling and school-to-work transitions
- Interest in and understanding of Bangladesh’s policy landscape, COVID-19 related policies and programming
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in the use of rigorous evidence for policy required
- Connections with policymakers and stakeholders in these sectors is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders informally and in presentations
- Attention to detail and advanced presentation skills for communicating policy lessons from academic papers in ways that policymakers understand. This requires clear, precise, non-technical writing, and confident, effective spoken communication and presentation style.
- Proven ability to multitask and successfully complete projects on tight deadlines with little supervision.
- Willingness to work hard, be self-motivated, and learn will be essential for doing well in this position.
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues across time zones
Complete the . After completing a brief registration, choose the Policy job category, then select “Policy Manager, Bangladesh”. Most applications require at minimum a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 830 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to .
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.
Job date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 22:16:50 GMT
Apply for the job now!