Vacancy for the Post: Manager-Government Liaison & Administration
Company Name: International Rescue Committee
Job description: Job Title/position Name
Manager- Government Liaison & Administration
IRC-Bangladesh, Cox’s Bazar Office
Coordinator Govt. Liaison and Admin (Direct)
One Year (with possibility of extension subject to funding, program needs and performance of incumbent
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading agencies working in post-conflict and development contexts, supporting communities in over 40 fragile, failed and developing states. In this capacity, we work to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted, struggling to endure and wishing to advance on a path of development.
The IRC has been present in Bangladesh since 2017 and obtained registration with the NGOAB in March 2018. Since the IRC obtained registration in March 2018, it has moved quickly to expand its integrated emergency health and protection response through both direct and partner-based programming focused on primary healthcare, women’s protection and empowerment, sexual and reproductive health, gender-based violence and child protection. Through 2018, the IRC’s response strategy will primarily target Rohingya refugees in Cox’s Bazar, while meeting the significant needs in both refugee and host populations, as already existing vulnerabilities are compounded with cyclical monsoon and cyclone seasons that impose additional threats to the lives and protection of those refugees as well as vulnerable host populations. IRC will grow over time its geographic coverage within Cox bazar and to other parts of the country, thus expand its’ networks and partnerships around emergency preparedness and response work, reach beyond the Rohingya refugees, also targeting the vulnerable host groups in Cox Bazar and other parts of Bangladesh.
Government Liaison & Administration Manager is responsible for liaison and networking with government, donors, NGO/INGOs and international agencies and ensuring IRC’s work is following the regulations of the Government of Bangladesh, related to different ministries, the NGO Affairs Bureau, National Board of Revenue, VISA offices, immigration, etc. This includes, to regular communications with relevant ministries related to IRC’s work compiling information for project applications for approval from the NGO Affairs Bureau, Narrative and Financial reporting requirements to NGOAB are fulfilled by IRC, ensuring comprehensive support for International Staff and visitors, ensure compliance related to taxation and other legal issues of organization. In addition, ensure administrative support to country director to keep liaison with donors and other stakeholders.
Very good understanding and experience of working with government ministries, experience of working with NGO Affairs Bureau and basic understanding of requirements of legal compliance for International NGOs to work in Bangladesh. Good communications skills are required for this position as it will require frequent interaction with the project and support staff and with government officials, donors and external agencies to IRC, Bangladesh.
Under the direct supervision of Coordinator Govt. Liaison and Admin and technical supervision of DDO and in close coordination with both program and operations team. This position is expected to support IRC operations (Rohingya response and Host Community) in Cox Bazar in terms of managing government relationships ( at different administrative level e.g. RRRC, DC Office, Civil Surgeon, UNO , CIC level) and ensuring legal compliances set by NGO Affairs Bureau. The incumbent is also expected to support on FD-6, FD-7, Visa / work permit, Security clearance and Camp pass for expatriate staff.
· Develop a sound knowledge of IRCs global presence as well as activities and strategy in Bangladesh in order to accurately represent the organization in liaisons with the Govt.
· Ensure that IRC operates in Cox bazar following all legal compliances set by NGO Affairs Bureau, DC Office RRRC, CIC, Civil Surgeon and other relevant Govt. Depts. e.g. SB, NSI, DGFI, DoFP, DDM and different Ministries (Home , Foreign , Disaster , Health and Women and child and so on) in timely and quality manner. This includes but not limited to processing of (i) FDs requirements at the start of projects; (ii) Various approvals from different level of authorities during the project lifespan; (iii) Project closure formalities etc.
· Timely prepare the Project Closing Report for FD-6/FD-7 and submit to DC Office and UNO Offices for collecting Project Closing Certificates.
· With support of supervisor, maintain up-to-date tracking sheet of all legal requirements for every project, timely updating and dedicatedly communicate with program team and senior managers for pending approvals / issues.
· Act as the Cox’s Bazar-based focal point for managing all inquiries from various relevant Govt. Offices at all levels (district, UZ, Union, Camps etc. ).
· Build excellent working relationships and maintain regular communication, coordination and provide updates to relevant government offices on the work of IRC, and on status of pending compliances / approvals
· Work closely with Dhaka based staff (Coordinator Government liaison and Administration) to ensure all paper works are completed and submitted in timely manner
· Short term cover the position of Coordinator (Government Liaison and Administration) in his/her absence in IRC Dhaka office
· This position is to work other than Cox’s Bazar District if requires for IRC Bangladesh
· Undertake other responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor for the shake of IRC Bangladesh.
· Assist in filing and following visa applications, camp permits, security clearance and renewals work permits for international staff and visitors.
· With support of supervisor, manage up to date tracking sheet of visa, work permit, camp permit and revise on regular basis; dedicatedly communicate with concerned staff and senior managers on the visa, work permit, camp permit renewals.
· Assist program and support staff with translation of documents.
· Time to time update about the filing of all Official files of Govt. Liaison and Admin
· Based on the advice from supervisor, attend various relevant external meetings in Cox’s Bazar (district, UZ, union and camp level) to represent IRC as well as support program and support staff to provide translation services.
· Assist with basic logistics concerning IRC staff and visitors in Dhaka and Cox’s Bazar, including briefing on welcome and orientation materials, and confirming hotel and transportation arrangements.
· Assist in office and other administrative tasks in Cox’s Bazar.
· Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Major Challenges/Difficulties of this role:
· Conflicting priorities
· Meeting demands at short time
· Inconsistency in unclear and frequently changes in Govt. requirements.
· Excellent working relationship with government counterparts at all levels in Cox bazar
· Timely completion of all legal compliances set by NGO Affairs Bureau throughout the project cycle management (start up, implementation and closure)
· Least lead time (number of hours and days) to facilitate overcoming of challenges with regards to government bureaucracy
· IRC team in Cox bazar is very well aware and familiar with RRRC , Civil surgeon, CICs and NGO Affairs Bureau’s requirements
· All international staff based in Cox Bazar have renewed visa, security clearance , work permit and camp permit
· Up to date tracking sheet related to legal compliance for every project as well as visa, work permit, camp permit
· Least number of queries / objections by GoB with regards to IRC’s program.
· Uninterrupted operation of IRC in Cox Bazar as far as legal compliances are concerned Update
Experience (Including sector/industry):
· Minimum of 5 (five) years of professional experience of working in similar role with NGO
· Preference to those who have worked in similar role with International NGO
Knowledge, Skills & Competences (5 to 8 not more than that):
· Excellent and demonstrated knowledge on legal compliances set by NGO Affairs Bureau
· Excellent understanding about GoB structure (national, district, UZ, union and Rohingya camp) relevant to operation of NGOs in Bangladesh
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to act professionally and diplomatically on behalf of the IRC, including representation in high level meetings.
· Demonstrated experience of managing FD7 and FD6 requirements throughout the project cycle management (start up, implementation and closure)
· Excellent command over Bangla language (writing, reading and speaking)
· Good communication skills in English language
· Good command over MS office
· Dedicated, a good teammate and ability to work under pressure
· Must be able to work independently and possess good time management skills.
Specific Educational Qualification:
· Graduate/Master in public administration, humanities, social sciences or social work, law.
Professional degree / Certification:
Standard of Professional Conduct
IRC and IRC employees are required to abide by the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct which are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality & Equal Opportunity
We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer generous benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. We welcome and strongly encourage qualified female professionals to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Are you ready to join the most dynamic team?
Location: Cox’s Bazar, Chittagong
Job date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 22:38:56 GMT
Apply for the job now!