Vacancy for the Post: Advocacy and Communication Specialist
Company Name: International Rescue Committee
Job description: Job Title:
Advocacy and Communication Specialist
Advocacy and Communications
IRC-Bangladesh, Cox’s Bazar Office
Head of Advocacy and Communication
1 year with possibility of extension
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading agencies working in post-conflict and development contexts, supporting communities in over 40 fragile, failed and developing states. In this capacity, we work to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted, struggling to endure and wishing to advance on a path of development.
The IRC has been present in Bangladesh since 2017 and obtained registration with the NGOAB in March 2018. Since the IRC obtained registration in March 2018, it has moved quickly to expand its integrated emergency health and protection response through both direct and partner-based programming focused on primary healthcare, women’s protection and empowerment, sexual and reproductive health, gender-based violence and child protection. Recently IRC has also introduced two new programs: Protection Rule of Law (PROL) and Education. IRC will continue working in both the camps and host community, while meeting the significant needs in both refugee and host populations, as already existing vulnerabilities are compounded with cyclical monsoon and cyclone seasons that impose additional threats to the lives and protection of those refugees as well as vulnerable host populations. IRC will grow over time its geographic coverage within Cox bazar and to other parts of the country, thus expand its’ networks and partnerships around emergency preparedness and response work, reach beyond the Rohingya refugees, also targeting the vulnerable host groups in Cox Bazar and other parts of Bangladesh.
Purpose of the Role
IRC Bangladesh seeks an experienced, dynamic individual for the role of communication specialist responsible for managing the communication needs for IRC Bangladesh program. This will be through working closely with program and MEAL team to gathering facts on the ground, success stories, and photographs, and assisting with the production of press releases, supporting media coverage and liaising with partners to identify beneficiary impact stories. The Advocacy and Communication Specialist will also gather and channel information about the IRCs response activities at the field-level in the form of SITREPs, factsheets, infographics case studies and other regular reports for dissemination to staff, partners and donors.
Highlights of core responsibility
Communication strategy and annual plan of action are in place (25%)
· .Develop a communication strategy following IRC’s vision, mission, SAP country strategy, global communication strategy and advocacy strategy.
· Develop annual action plan for communication in consultation with sector leads and key partner like communication sub sector and like-minded organizations.
· Technical Coordinators and budget holders can integrate communication strategy into activities in their budget line, donor’s proposal, and work plan.
· Managing the communication budget
· Proactively come up with innovative communication ideas which can add value in all donors proposals
Built collaborative relationship with divers’ stakeholder form local to national level ( 25%)
· Strong collaboration with different department & head quarter colleuges -Communication and communication related sector/network/forums
· IRC Bangladesh recognized as a lead INGO among communication community in creating innovative communication campaign and materials
· Take joint initiative which can demonstrate IRC’s position and positive branding at different level.
· Maintain professional relationship with mainstreaming media (Newspaper, TV, Radio) to promote IRC’s programs and mitigate all potential risk form local to national level
· In consultation with Head of Advocacy and Communication, Senior Management team organize periodically media visit to promote IRC’s response, advocacy priorities and partnerships, resulting in high-quality, premier coverage.
· Provide daily updates on the emergency response to ensure we have up to date information to pitch to journalists and updated talking points for interviews.
· In support of the IRC Bangladesh and Country Director, Deputy Director Program (DDP) and working closely with the Head of Advocacy and Communication, draft press releases, background information and Q&As about IRC programs and issues of concern.
Capacity of staff on collecting & writing stories, taking good photo and video footage (10%)
· Number of workshops/orientations/training conducted on story writing/telling, photography, branding, media risk mitigation, spokesperson.
· Providing capacity building to the staff and following up on work plans and quality of advocacy and communication products.
· Ensure the team can develop high quality Advocacy and Communication products, including the drafting, editing and production of visuals.
· Help to develop a program-oriented communication plan during donor proposal writing
· With the help of grants team ensure all the donor visibility compliance are maintained as par guidelines and agreement
Providing quality and on time support to all sectors by producing high quality communication materials including BCC and IEC (30%)
· Work closely with the program and MEAL teams to collect, capture and document project activities and the needs of Rohingya refugees and host communities in the form of case studies and other content. Represent the information in an attractive and engaging format that can be shared with the public, media, project stakeholders, partners, and donors.
· Liaise closely with the grants team to support meeting HQ information requests and donor visibility requirements.
· Through regular coordination with Program and MEAL teams, as well as collecting the latest available information from UN and other sources, produce SITREPs (dynamic frequency) and daily updates during the height of any emergency.
· Visit field sites regularly to document beneficiary needs and success stories.
· Ensure that all materials adhere to the branding and marking requirements
Professional & Personal Development (10%)
· Demonstrating an understanding of and commitment to IRC’s Core Values, vision, mission in the approach to work and relationships.
· Work and Life balance
· Current career plan that is consistent with IRC’s strategic goal
· At least 6 years’ experience in communication, graphics design, advocacy
· At least 3 years’ experience in managerial position
· Cross cultural experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Understand Humanitarian crisis, holistic and transformational development
· Government policies related to key advocacy issues
· Proven management and leadership ability
· Effective Communication skills(verbal, written and listening)
· Strong analytical and writing skills both in English and Bengali
· Proven experience on digital communication
· Demonstrated collaboration & team building skills
· Understand advocacy theory, process, and practice.
· Proven experience to work on graphics design, photography, videography, PowerPoint, Microsoft word and excel
· Proven ability to write and produce publications like annual report, story books
· Competent in the use of Microsoft Office computer programs including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Work environment: 50% travel is expected.
· Achieving quality results and service
· Pacticing accountability and integrity
· Communicating information effectively
· Learning for growth and development
· Maintaining work/life balance and effectiveness
· Thinking clearly, deeply and broadly
· Understanding the Humanitarian Industry
· Understanding IRC Bangladesh’s mission and operations
· Practicing innovation and creativity
· Building collaborative relationships
· Practicing gender and cultural diversity
· Influencing individuals and groups
Specific Educational Qualification:
· Master’s in Communications/Journalism / English / or any relevant field.
Professional degree / Certification:
· Post Graduate Degree in Mass Communication/Journalism will be given preference.
Standard of Professional Conduct
IRC and IRC employees are required to abide by the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct which are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality & Equal Opportunity
We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer generous benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. We welcome and strongly encourage qualified female professionals to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Are you ready to join the most dynamic team?
Location: Cox’s Bazar, Chittagong
Job date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 22:17:43 GMT
Apply for the job now!